Join us in providing the resources needed to transform every school into a healthy, high performance school.
Because all students deserve the best learning environment possible. Schools that are safe, healthy, resource efficient, and designed to inspire learning.
Better buildings. Better students.
- High performance schools often use natural daylight to improve energy efficiency. Students exposed to natural daylight in classrooms progress as much as 20 percent faster on math tests and as much as 26 percent faster on reading tests than students with no daylight exposure.
- By controlling exposure to indoor environmental factors, such as carbon monoxide, dust, and pollen, high performance schools can prevent more than 65 percent of asthma cases among elementary school-age children, reducing sick days and giving kids more time in the classroom.
- Increasing teacher retention helps to lower personnel replacement, recruitment, and training costs. Teachers cite indoor air quality, access to daylight and outside views, and better acoustics as reasons they prefer high performance schools over conventional schools.
- High performance schools use 32 percent less water than conventionally constructed schools, significantly reducing utility costs over the average 42-year lifecycle of a school.
- By implementing energy efficiency measures, high performance schools have been able to reduce energy costs by 30 percent or more over conventional schools.
CHPS connects across the country to facilitate and inspire change in our educational system by providing the tools, training, and technical support needed to transform K-12 schools into ideal places to learn.
Over 20 years, we have built a national community of committed school districts, government agencies, utility companies, nonprofit organizations, private companies, and individuals to collaborate under one unifying goal: to improve the learning experience for our nation’s children by building the next generation of healthy, high performance schools.
To date, CHPS has guided the design and construction of over 1,000 healthy, resource-efficient schools in 16 states and has collaborated with over 100 districts around the country.
There is much more work to do.
That's why we're raising $500,000 over the next three years.
Your generous support will allow us to:
- Reach an additional 50 districts and schools.
- Address critical gaps in applied research on the impacts of the school environment on students and teachers.
- Launch our Operations Report Card v2.0 with a companion version for students and beginning staff.
- Create Standard Specifications that help schools and design teams meet and exceed our certification criteria.
Whether it’s providing technical training to school districts for their construction projects, offering educational webinars on the latest high performance research, assisting design teams with solving unique problems, or helping building professionals find the healthiest materials and products for schools, CHPS brings people together to make an impact on the issues they care about the most.
Together, let’s support them.
By working together, we can fundamentally transform the design, construction, and operation of our nation’s K-12 schools, making them healthier, safer, and more resource efficient. All students and teachers deserve the best environment for their learning and teaching experience.
Join us now in providing the resources and programs that schools need to achieve high performance in health, safety, and resource-efficiency.
See below to learn how you can make an impact with CHPS.
Every contribution--whether $5 or $50,000--supports our capacity to serve more schools.
Our members make a difference every day for the K-12 community. Membership with CHPS helps us leverage our collective skills to achieve even more in creating ideal environments for students, teachers, and staff.
Our sponsors make an impact for our school districts, members, and design teams by supporting improved resources or new, innovative tools. Click to learn more about current initiatives.