What are CHPS Products™?
Whether you are pursuing Verified recognition from CHPS or certification under LEED or just looking for products guaranteed to meet high standards for indoor environmental quality and/or resource conservation, we are on a mission to make it easy for school personnel and design professionals to select, specify, and document building materials that meet our criteria. CHPS Pre-Approved Products have been reviewed and certified by CHPS to meet our requirements for Low Emitting Materials*, Recycled Content, Certified Wood, Environmental Product Declaration (EPDs) and/or Product Health Information Reporting (e.g. HPDs).
*CHPS follows CDPH/EHLB/Standard Method v1.2 for low VOC materials. CHPS Products approved as low emitting also meet LEED v4 requirements.
If you are a Manufacturer,
- CHPS Products have visibility in the market.
- CHPS Products meeting CDPH Standard Method v1.2 for VOC content are recognized by both CHPS and LEED as valid for Low Emitting Materials prerequisites and credits.
- CHPS Products are appealing to designers, specifiers, and school administrations because the CHPS Certificate guarantees the product meets high standards.
CHPS Members get one free product certificate per year and a discount on listing with our partners (see below under Using our New Listings).
Manufacturers wishing to earn the CHPS Pre-Approved Product designation, please contact us for information on how to get your products approved and listed.
If you are an Architect,
- Our product listings make it easy to find and specify products meeting our criteria and your client's needs.
- CHPS Products approved for low VOC content meet the LEED v4 Low emitting materials credit.
- CHPS Products require no documentation from a project team during review for CHPS Verified recognition!
If you are from a School or District,
- CHPS' review means you have to do less work to decide if a product has the right health and environmental attributes for your school. We do the work for you!
Starting in 2017, we began offering our pre-approved product listings in partnerships with third-party web-based resources, ZeroDocs and Sustainable Minds. Both sites are free to search and offer advanced functionality for finding, selecting, and specifying high performance materials and finishes.
We remain grateful to EPA, CalRecycle, and others that supported the development of our original High Performance Products Database, and we will continue to provide product pre-approval and identification so that school and design professionals know they are selecting the healthiest and highest performing products available.
CHPS new listing of low emitting, recycled content, certified wood, or rapidly renewable products are contained in the CHPS Pre-Approved Product page at ZeroDocs.com/CHPS. Products are itemized individually, and the site covers multiple types and attributes. The listings may include EPDs and HPDs too. To identify CHPS Pre-Approved Products, look for the CHPS letter or certificate linked on the product page.
For California projects, the “CHPS High Performance Products Database” in CALGreen 5.504 refers to the CHPS ZeroDocs page.
Additional features of the site:
- Free product library and specifying tool
- Easy-to-find attributes contained in the CHPS Criteria; multiple attributes are identified
- Confirmation of low emitting claims through our own product certification
- Map of distribution area for each manufacturer
Use the Sustainable Minds Transparency Catalog for product transparency (environmental product declarations and material ingredients) required under the Materials & Waste credits for multiple environmental attributes and/or health information reporting. The catalog is organized by manufacturer, and each manufacturer's page features all the products that have transparency disclosures. Look for the CHPS Product and CHPS Member logos on the manufacturer pages. The listings may also provide information on other applicable CHPS criteria, including certifications and what the company is doing to improve their products and processes.
Additional features include:
- Free educational content on environmental and health disclosures and how to use them to earn CHPS credits
- Free specifying tool
- Free social media tools to easily distribute information
- Easy-to-find attributes contained in the CHPS Criteria
- Confirmation of attributes through an approved process
- Neutrality on verification/verification organizations